Way of Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No-knead bread

Go down

No-knead bread Empty No-knead bread

Post  neva Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:29 am

This isn't my recipe, but it's SO good I think everyone should know about it! Until I made this, I thought I couldn't bake bread. It sounds complicated, but it's actually really easy. It's a very crusty bread that's moist and airy inside.

3 cups all purpose flour + some to work with
1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 to 1-5/8 cups water
cornmeal as needed

Mix flour, yeast and salt in a large bowl. Add 1-1/2 cups water and stir until blended. If there's still some dry flour, add more water, a teaspoon at a time, until completely blended. The dough will be very sticky and "shaggy." Cover with plastic wrap and let it rest 12-20 hours (this is why you don't need to knead it!) in a warm place.

The dough is ready when it's dotted with bubbles on the top. Flour a work surface, coat your hands with flour, and take the dough out of the bowl. You'll have to scrape the sides of the bowl with your hands to pick it up. Put the dough on the floured surface, sprinkle it with flour, and fold the left and right side of the dough over to meet in the middle. Lightly sprinkle with more flour and fold the top and bottom sides over to meet in the middle. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Coat your hands with flour again and gently and quickly shape the dough into a ball (it'll be a pretty floppy ball). Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) or wax paper with cornmeal and put the dough on it, seam side down. Sprinkle with cornmeal, cover with another towel, and let it rise for 2 more hours. The dough will be more than double in size and won't readily spring back when poked with a finger.

At least 1/2 hour before the dough is done rising, turn the oven to 450. Put a 6-8 quart pot in the oven (something with a cover that can withstand high heat--cast iron, enamel, pyrex, etc.) with the cover on while the oven is heating. When dough is ready, take the pot out of the oven (carefully!). Slide your hand under the bottom towel and turn the dough over into the pot, seam side up. It's okay if it's a bit of a mess--just shake the pot to make it settle a bit (and it'll settle more in the oven). Cover with lid and bake for 30 minutes. Take the cover off and bake 15 to 20 minutes more until the loaf is browned.

neva

Back to top Go down