Way of Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Inupiaq Manners list

Go down

Inupiaq Manners list Empty Inupiaq Manners list

Post  Rainey Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm

Started this in Facebook!

I was thinking about this today. It's something we don't necessarily talk about alot, at least not out in the open. So I decided to make a note.....where you can add them!....

Inupiaq Manners:

1. Always take your glove off to shake hands, keeping a glove on is rude.

2. Don't stand one foot away from my face and talk to me. I won't hear a word you are saying, cause you are way too close.

3. Never reject coffee or tea, unless you want something else, like water, juice or pop.

4. Don't STARE into my eyes intensely while I am talking. In other cultures this means you are listening, but in ours it just means you are creepy. We will know you are listening because you actually listened.

5. Long pauses are not insults. They mean we are thinking.

6. Ask if you should take your shoes off before you go into the house, especially if it's snowy or muddy outside. Which is 90% of the time.

7. Elders get stuff first. Period.

8. Being late is not a capital offense. And setting up times to meet/and or appointments are just a loose estimate. If we were all about being on time then we would be freaking stressed and messed up cause Nature has no times/appointments. No matter what we do.

9. Do not act surprised that most people disappear during whaling season or caribou migration. Do not get upset either. Doing wither of those will not change the fact.

Tasha Itta If we don't talk to you when were mad, don't get offended. We are Inupiaq.
February 26 at 6:44pm ·

Wynona Wilson If we don't make eye contact... don't get offended.., we are inupiaq.
February 26 at 6:47pm ·

Susie Silook we might not have a "real" job, but we are always getting ready.
February 26 at 6:49pm ·

Wynona Wilson We might not talk 100 mph, we live in silence most times, we are inupiaq....
February 26 at 6:51pm ·

Aŋŋiaġruk Sage If you are hosting a community discussion with your oil company on the slope, and someone burps or niliqs, don't rudely say "EXCUSE YOU" while speaking on the microphone. We freely burp and niliq; elders especially more so.
February 26 at 6:51pm ·

Wynona Wilson Thats a big 10-4 Aŋŋiaġruk, the older I'm getting burping & niliqing is just a norm...
February 26 at 6:56pm ·

Payuk Nay.. I say manner Number 3 only applies when its an Elder who is offering you that stuff... We are Inupiaq...
February 26 at 7:44pm ·

Payuk Nay.. Age is very Important. The older person Always gets the better deal, the better seat, and First Dibs. You must let them have it. We are Inupiaq..
February 26 at 7:48pm ·

Tony Bryant Always give what they ask for, even if it is your last...
February 26 at 8:33pm ·

Herman Ahsoak If you stare PERIOD at someone for a long period, then there is something seriously wrong with you. Inupiaq people DO NOT STARE......
February 26 at 8:35pm ·

Payuk Nay.. Do not be Cocky.
February 26 at 8:39pm ·

Ronald H Brower Isuma, is a very private matter.
Elders have a different sense of time than young folk.
If you ask an elder a question do not hurrry up and wait, patience is the rule as the Elder will think before answering.
February 26 at 9:21pm ·

Itałłook Hopson III Never tease anybody who has a physical disability or mental illness. We are Inupiaq.
February 26 at 9:26pm ·

Itałłook Hopson III Or it might happen to you.
February 26 at 9:26pm ·

Payuk Nay.. B3 you forgot to say 'We are Inupiaq'.. Kiiiinaq..
February 26 at 9:47pm ·

Deena Rae Ronald that makes me miss my Aaka Ethel, she used to do that when I would talk to her.
February 26 at 10:24pm ·

Molly Ann Spicer Respect one another but never accept cruelty towards another being. Because WE are inupiaq.
February 26 at 10:30pm ·

Emily Brower Roseberry Aarigaa-asuukua. We recognize an answer by the raise of an eyebrow. Inupiagurugut.
February 26 at 11:22pm ·

Ronald H Brower Hi Deena... I miss a lot of Elders who would sit and think before they answer... Sometimes with a little story...
February 26 at 11:25pm ·

Andrea Boyd Inupiaq facial expression, and commonly used in other cultures too, ....raised eye brows means YES, lowered or furrowed eye brows means NO and is expressed silently or while speaking. Another good manner is to give up your seat on the metro bus to an Elder or woman. I am a Seattle Inupiat. Smile
February 27 at 12:02am ·

Linda Akootchook Qiqsiqsrautiqaniq-Respect-regardless of people or animals. Never kill animals if your not going to eat it or use whatever you are killing it for.
February 27 at 12:03am ·

Tony Bryant Always put the elder in the front of the line...I wish I could see that here in Anchorage....
February 27 at 8:15am ·

Pimusuk Oquilluk Do what our parents tell us to do and always remember the lessons of our ancestors.
February 27 at 11:38am ·

Ronald H Brower Stop what you are doing and speak to an elder... They may hold something in ernest to pass on to you...
February 27 at 11:49am ·

Ronald H Brower Teach the young ones,speak to them in Inupiaq about their namesake and who they are...
February 27 at 11:50am ·

Nasuġraq Rainey Higbee When you say "how are you doing?" don't walk away afterwords. It's a question, not a greeting.
February 27 at 12:10pm ·

Asiaŋataq Edwardson Just because you have multiple university degrees it doesn't mean you're smarter than an elder who never went past 2nd grade! Knowledge comes with experience, not specialized classes.. though they might give you some insight.. just because you have a communication degree it doesn't mean you know how to talk to people.. and a kid with FAS knows more... See More
February 27 at 4:25pm ·

Pimusuk Oquilluk Grandma Etta says that us men need to remember to take off our hats.
February 27 at 5:22pm ·

Pimusuk Oquilluk Respect the womans domain...Do not tell her what to do in HER home...Better yet; just don't tell her what to do.
March 2 at 12:00am ·

Tasha Ryder Always shake with your right hand, and don't squeeze an Elders hand too hard.
March 7 at 12:57am ·

Ronald H Brower Inuit are used to training PhD fellows how to do their projecs in the Arctic...for some Inuit this was the introducion to English language...Before they went to high school...
March 7 at 4:01am ·

Naaqtuuq Dommek -Always pagla people; acknowledgment of one inuk to another. Depending on time, place and relation to that person an acceptable greeting may be but not limited to: a nod, wave, smile, verbal greeting, love-sniff, bear-hug...etc.
March 18 at 10:46pm ·

Nasuġraq Rainey Higbee A shrugging of the shoulders can mean that they don't know, or that they will think about it later, or that they will do it later. No need to push the subject.

Also if something smells very strong and you are not used to it, do not say it is "stink" or "bad" or anything else negative. Just say it's "strong".
March 18 at 11:06pm ·

Ronald H Brower Speak Inupiaq to your children as much as you can...
Rainey
Rainey
Admin

http://www.salmonberrydreams.etsy.com

Back to top Go down