Way of Life
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caribou wontons.

Go down

Caribou wontons. Empty Caribou wontons.

Post  Rainey Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:32 am

I made these and they turned out AWESOME. I had to make the wonton wrappers from scratch cause they don't sell em in the village store but it was a good idea cause I got to make the wrappers bigger so they were a little smaller than a hot pocket. The hardest part was the wonton wrappers. Next time I will make all the wrappers in one afternoon, then keep them in the fridge till I need them.

To make the wonton wrappers I used this recipe:

Ingredients

1 egg
1/3 cup water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Directions

In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Mix in the water.
In a large bowl, combine the flour and salt. Create a well in the center of the mixture and slowly pour in the egg and water. Mix well. If the mixture is too dry, increase the amount of water one teaspoon at a time until a pliable dough has formed.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until elastic. Cut dough into separate balls. Cover the balls with a damp cloth for a minimum of 10 minutes.
Roll out thin. Cut to size and shape. I used a small pot and flipped it over and then used a knife to cut in a big circle.

Filling:

I used about three cups of ground cooked caribou meat. I took a boiled piece of meat from leftovers of the night before and chopped it up in cubes. I stuck a few at a time in my "chopper" (it's a tiny one that is super cheap to buy at the walmart I originally bought it to chop caribou fat for ice cream) I then chopped about half an onion and three cloves of garlic and added it to the meat. I added about 3 tblspoons of teriyaki sauce, and about 4 tblspoon of soy sauce. I added a big spurt of hot and spicy chili sauce (optional) and a dash of dried cilantro, black pepper. I mixed it well. set aside.

I then filled the wontons and sealed them by wetting the edge of the circle, filling it with filling, then closing the circle, and then took a fork and pressed it along the edges so it wouldn't come open. I heated a deep frying pan with about one inch of oil to medium heat and browned the wontons. Drain on paper towels.

Normally you would use raw filling but to me this was easier.

Hope it turns out for you guys! could probly use it for moose too....

Caribou wontons. IMG_9445
Rainey
Rainey
Admin

http://www.salmonberrydreams.etsy.com

Back to top Go down